Thursday, October 10, 2013

A new one for today.. |Love, Sex & Relationship| - How to make a good choice

Our Guest counsellor: Pastor Taiwo Odubiyi
 email: info@pastortaiwoodubiyi.org.uk

GOOD READ:

“There’s no doubt in my heart that we’re meant for each other.” Ben took her hand. “I’ve not stopped loving you. I still care about you very much.” He stopped and looked into her eyes. “Do you still love me?”

Tolu nodded, “Yes … but I will still need to pray.”

“That’s okay. I will wait for you. I am sure of my feelings though. You’re all I want in a woman – you’re beautiful, gentle, caring and above all, God-fearing. I now know why I’ve not been married.  A part of me was waiting for you, waiting for you to come back. You are the bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh.” He paused for effect…

Tolu smiled back. “I’m happy, Ben. I love you too but as I said, I will need to pray. I can’t give you my answer now.”…

While praying, Tolu asked herself, ‘Am I ready to accept Ben as my husband? Do I want to spend the rest of my life with him? Are we compatible spiritually? Does he really love me? Is he a man who can keep to one woman?

Searching for answers from deep within her, she asked God to help her make the right choice…

(Excerpts from the novel – In Love For Us)

We are always faced with choices. Everyday we make decisions on what to eat, what to wear, where to go, what to do about our jobs, relationships, business pursuits etc. Our choices ultimately affect our lives. We are products of our choices, both the wrong and the right. Another thing we need to know is that our choices go a long way in revealing our true character.

God expects us as we make decisions daily to honour Him. 1Corinthians 10:31 tells us to do all things to the glory of God.  Our decisions must be in line with God’s word. To be honest with you, there will be times when it may not seem so easy to make a good choice, but then, we must make the good choice because it is the right thing to do. When we obey God, He blesses us. We should walk by faith and not by sight.

Choosing a life partner

Only God knows the heart and the end of a matter from the beginning. We know only of yesterday and now. It is best that we go to the One who knows even tomorrow, and indeed, all things!

The Bible makes us to understand that there is a way that seems right to a man but its end is the way of death.  Choosing the wrong person could be very costly. It could affect the decision-maker’s life, destiny and family, therefore, the process leading to the choice of a partner must be taken seriously. Marriage is a life-long contract, therefore in choosing a life partner, you must ask yourself, ‘Is this person worth spending the rest of my life with?’

For singles, one of the things that will help you in choosing the right person and honouring God is to know your purpose in life. When I had to choose whom to marry, I knew it had to be someone who knew my calling and accepted it. I already knew what my purpose was and realised I couldn’t marry just anybody. It must be a man who loved God. If I hadn’t known my calling, I would have ended up marrying just anyone.

In Love on the Pulpit, Teni asked Dave, “Will it be alright to ask what it is you’re looking for in a woman?”

And he answered, “Simply put, maturity and stability, in all ways spiritually, emotionally and physically. She must also understand my calling and accept it.”

You also need to have knowledge of who the right person is, and where to find him or her. You can get a wrong person at the right place but you cannot get the right person at the wrong place!

Making a good choice

A precondition for making the right choice is to know what God expects from us in every circumstance. We would have many challenges but when we make right choices that are God-inspired, we make our sojourn on earth sweatless as we become less prone to mistakes. And as a bachelor or spinster, to choose a good person to marry, you must know how to choose right in other areas of life.

“I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;

That you may love the Lord your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days; and that you may dwell in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them.” (Deuteronomy 30:19,20)

“A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, loving favor rather than silver and gold.” (Proverbs 22:1)

Therefore, make good choices, knowing that today’s choices determine tomorrow’s consequences and positions in life.

Choose to love God.

Choose to surrender your fears and worries to God.

Choose to give up bad habits.

Choose to trust God.

Choose to speak the truth.

Choose to do the right thing.

Choose to forgive.

Choose good friends and companions.

Choose to walk in love.

Choose to be a giver.

Choose heaven and not hell.



The choice is yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment